Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

4. Pretty Folder Organization:

“Keep your table clean! Tidy your drawer! Make up your bed! Place the dishes in the right place!!!”

Do these ring a bell? Yup mine do! I had always been yelled at for not doing them. Home is where you learn the first of everything. Its true. As you grow up, you slowly start doing these (I’m talking about obedient or less obedient and not disobedient people :) ) chores because you were programmed for this purpose since your childhood. But as you mature, you realise that it is not just a responsibility but also a necessity of your life to ensure that these chores are met. Well, this post is not about chores and activities but about the way we do them. I remember my earlier days where I used to do things just for the sake of it as I was forced to do them and not because I enjoyed doing it. And that really left the entire place messed up and even if anything was done I was not at all happy inside because I knew I did something I was not interested in at all. Maybe I was watching my Ninja Turtles cartoon on TV and I was suddenly asked to go to the shop or clean up my room. I mean who wants to do all that when you’re watching your fave progs on TV? Anyway, the point is that I finally learnt something- whatever I am supposed to do, whether successful or not, I might as well do it with my whole heart! It may or may not be complete but it will look neat and tidy and the results will show the amount of effort that has been put in. I reckon if you try more sincerely from that point on, you are definitely going to make a big difference. You can achieve beauty and results in what you do.

FOLDER FOLDING ME

The work I did in my previous company required me to keep many folders wherein the content was stored. However this task of creating new folders was not to my liking. And so my desktop and documents were full of content rather than ensuring that the folders were full of it. Yes, I may have done it that way as I needed them immediately during the course of my work instead of wasting time and opening the appropriate folders. Or so I thought. What happened was that I not only saved the low priority but also the very high priority docs onto my desktop. It risked both dangers of crashing as well as jobless networking spies who had the access to destroy or play with it. Towards my exit though, I realised there’s something in folder organisation. I think everyone gets the brightest of ideas or think in the most creative way only after the resignation letter is put. Suddenly I get some extra courage to speak up, isn’t it?

FOLD ER UP

Well, today in my Media company, I happily ensure that all content are kept in the right folders. Well, at least the high priority content. While working I save the content to my desktop as I have to send them urgently and I don’t want to waste time un necessarily. But I now make sure that I transfer the high value stuff to their actual places keeping only the apprentices on my desktop. I am happy to create and maintain folders as it keeps me organized and systematic. They look neat as well. Results with beauty! :) So I have adopted this process even in my outlook mail which houses thousands of mails from every department. At any point of time I get to quickly pull out a particular mail sent by the HR or CEO on a said date, rather than hurriedly going through the entire list of mails ultimately panicking, wasting time and not finding the mail at all. I got this result because I have created folders based on various hierarchies and type of tasks. I learnt this from maintaining the usual folders in 'My Documents'. Isn’t this something unique? At work I am now organised administratively because I have organised set of folders containing the relevant contents. Now why wouldn’t this process be applicable in my house? I can tidy my room and drawers in the same manner. My files can be appropriately taken care of with all the certificates and documents and receipts I have received all these years. My personal letters and greeting cards I received before the Internet era is also compacted. I may listen to numerous CDs everyday but on weekends I can take the pain to organise them once again. This is looking neat now :). In office, my computer neatly folders the music I play while working, the photos I collect and all other drafts. What trouble would I be going through in order to keep myself organized? Just a few seconds to keep clicking on the mouse? This is neat and pretty organisation. Creativity at my fingertips!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment