Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Dublin Port Tunnel : Journey from Dublin Airport to Castledermot in the 8:25 am J.J. Kavanagh bus - Video Clip

Dublin Port Tunnel : Journey from Dublin Airport to Castledermot in the 8:25 am J.J. Kavanagh bus - Video Clip



Dublin Airport to Castledermot J.J. Kavanagh Bus journey

On my journey from Dublin Airport to Castledermot, I got the chance to travel in the underground Dublin Port Tunnel. I was in the 8:25 am J.J. Kavanagh bus and captured the short tunnel episode in my cam. It was nice to be under the road for a change. There was a cute kid sitting in the seat in front of me busy playing on his portable computer game. You can see the reflection on the window of the side seat where I sat.

“This is Castledermot!”

The bus picked me and dropped me on time. I reached Castledermot at 10:25am just like what is shown on their website time table in the internet. Excellent Driver! When I boarded the bus I asked him to let me know when it’s Castledermot stop as I wasnt very familiar with the place. We only come to Castledermot to get onto the bus to Dublin as it’s not in Baltinglass at that time. Anyway, I was still relaxing and staring outside at the snow when the driver slowly got out from his seat, smiled and politely reminded me in front of all the other passengers that ‘This is Castledermot’. I smiled, thanked him and got out.

The Dublin Port Tunnel (Irish: Tollán Calafoirt Bhaile Átha Cliath)


One half of the Twin Underground Dual Carriageway Tunnels, this Underground Tunnel is the Dublin Port Tunnel (Tollán Calafoirt Bhaile Átha Cliath in Irish), constructed in Dublin, Ireland. The two-lane dual carriageway links the M50 Motorway Dublin Port, (located east of central Dublin), and the M1 Motorway (Dublin to Belfast) which is near to Dublin Airport. The tunnels measure 4.5 km (2.8 miles) in length. An important safety aspect is that there are Pedestrian Crossing Passages every 250 metres and Vehicle Crossing Passages every 1000 metres linked to the tunnels which are major exit routes in times of emergency. It was the major efforts of Dublin City Council on behalf of the National Roads Authority which resulted in the success of Dublin Port Tunnel.

Few Facts you didn’t know about the Dublin Port Tunnel (DPT):

1. After the Södra Länken in Stockholm, Sweden, the DPT is the second-longest urban motorway tunnel in Europe measuring 4.5 km (2.8 miles) in length.

2. Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) are toll- free.

3. Joint winner (with the recovery operation project for the World Trade Centre) in December 2003 of the British Geotechnical Association's international Fleming Award (BGA Fleming Award) for excellence in geotechnical design and construction.

4. The award was for the innovative 'observational approach' used in optimising the design of the tunnel launch shaft in Whitehall, and for the soil-nailed open-cut section of the works accommodating the northern cut and cover tunnel.


5. It was the major efforts of Dublin City Council on behalf of the National Roads Authority which resulted in the success of Dublin Port Tunnel.


Video clip of the bus journey through Dublin Port Tunnel:




1 comment: